Thermal Power Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering was first offered in 2010-2011. Thermal Power Engineering enables the development of long term solutions to meet the world's rapidly growing energy needs. In this program students study alternative energy sources such as wind, solar & biomass as well as sustainable energy production from existing sources such as coal and gas. Thermal power Engineering includes cross-disciplinary studies. Post graduates specializing in this stream focus on sustainable and renewable energy. The senior most faculty is Prof Sekhar Majumdar who is well known in the country and overseas for his significant contributions in the field of Computation of Low Speed Turbulent Flows. Students have exposure to industrial visits and workshops. The laboratories used by the M.Tech students for their practical training are well equipped and include laboratories for Heat Transfer, Internal combustion engines, CAD, Fluid Machinery and the recently built modern laboratory for Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Papers presented/published by MTech Thermal students:
1. Simson Pinto, “Solar powered, battery free, refrigeration system with cold bank”, presented at an International Conference Advanced Materials, Manufacturing, Management and Thermal Sciences (AMMMT-2016), held at Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Industrial Engg and Management on 23rd and 24th September 2016.
2. Rakesh. R, Manjunath. H. N, Madhusudhan, “ STUDY OF VAPOUR COMPRESSION REFRIGERATION SYSTEM USING DOUBLE PIPE HEAT EXCHANGER”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Science and Engineering, Vol No. 5, Issue No. 7, July 2016. ISSN 2319-8354.
3. Kiran .V.S, Manjunath.H.N, Madhusudhan, “A STUDY ON OPTIMIZATION OF LOW PRESSUREFEED WATER HEATER FOR THERMAL POWER PLANT”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Science and Engineering, Vol No. 5, Issue No. 7, July 2016. ISSN 2319-8354.
4. Girisha N, Manikumar K. C, Manjunath H. N, Sushanth H. Gowda, N. Kapilan, “ A Study on Effect of Alternative Refrigerant on the Performance of a Domestic Refrigerator”, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Automation 2016, 6(5A): 138-141.
Machine Design is a post graduation program that was started in the academic year 2013-14. The program is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum and approved by AICTE New Delhi. Machine Design is an important branch of Engineering which focuses on imparting knowledge in areas such as Materials Design, Static, kinematics and dynamic analysis of components. The program teaches students the creative, innovative and constructive aspects of design. Experienced faculty guide students learn about the industry and about ethics.
The program includes subjects such as Theory of Elasticity and Plasticity, experimental stress analysis, advanced vibrations, Finite Element Methods, ribology, Dynamics and Mechanism design, Composites, Fracture Mechanics and Mechatronics. Apart from theory, the students also engage in internship and take up projects in the final semester.
This program has wide scope and opportunity in the field of engineering. It involves conventional courses and advanced engineering courses. On completing this program, students can opt for careers in the automobile industry, aerospace, foundry, machine tool, modeling and analysis, product design and others.
An advanced manufacturing laboratory has machines such as stir casting, centrifugal and centrifuge casting. It also houses heat treatment furnace, polishing machine, electronic tensiometer, computerized wear testing machine and inverted microscope with image analyser software.
Students avail of the CAD and Simulation laboratory where they have access to CATIA. They also use laboratories for experimental stress analysis, Nano technology and composite material.
1. Rudra Naik M, Kumarchannaveeresh, U N Kempaiah " Directional optimization of MEMS piezoelectric Hydrophone for under water application" PMME conference paper published in material today proceeding. July 2016.
2. Sandesh R Hegde, Divyanshu Sahay, G M Sandeep, Muralidhara, K V Nikhilesh “Design and development of inter-satellite separation mechanism for Twin Nano satellite — STUDSAT-2” IEEE Aerospace Conference – 2016, 45th student conference, Educational Pico and Nano Satellites, IAC – 2015, Big Sky, Montana, USA. (Paper available at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7500841/media)
3. Dr. Desai Gowda, Charan Kumar D, Sandeep G M, Adithya Parthasarathy, Subhash Chandrashekar, “Tribological Characterization of Centrifugally Cast Graphite Cast Iron under Dry and Wet conditions”, presented at PMME – 2016, Elsevier materials today proceedings.
4. Shiv Pratap Singh Yadav, Dr. S. Ranganatha, Sandeep G M, Salim Sharieff, “Abrasive Wear Trends of Non-Conforming Contact Surfaces” presented at PMME – 2016, Elsevier materials today proceedings.
5. Mr. Sandeep G M, Mr. Avinash D N, “A Study on Behavior of Stress Wave Propagation in Different Sheet Metals under Impact Loads by Experimental and Numerical Methods”, ETMET 2016 (National Conference), 20th July, 2016, JIT, Bengaluru.
1. Chandan S N, Sandeep G M, Vinayaka N, “Design, Analysis and Optimization of Race Car Chassis for its Structural Performance”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology Vol. 5 Issue 07, July-2016, pg. 361-367.
2. B.S. Surendra, G.M. Sandeep, P. Balachandra Shetty, “Design and Fabrication of Inverted Cup Single Action Press Draw Tool”, IJLTEMAS Vol. 4 Issue 06, June-2015, pg. 15-17.
3. Dr. Shantharaja M., Mr. Sandeep G. M., “Experimental And Numerical Analysis Of Propagation Of Stress Wave In Sheet Metal” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC & TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH VOLUME 3, ISSUE 10, OCTOBER 2014.
4. Praveenkumar Kiranagi, V. R. Kabadi, “Some Investigation on Wear Measurements”, International Journal for Technological Research in Engineering, ISSN: 2347-4718, Volume 4, Issue 2, October 2016.
5. Sharankumar, Sachin, V.R. Kabadi, “Investigation on the effect of FGM Alloy on cylinder liner using Centrifugal Casting Technique”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, ISSN: 2278-0181, Volume 5, Issue 1, July 2016.